Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

$65.00 menu this week

Since I have been doing so well on my budget, I plan on taking this week and making a few extra meals to freeze. I am almost 31 weeks pregnant now, so it is the time to start preparing since I always go a little early. It is a relief to have meals done for the first few weeks after a baby comes.

My freezers are pretty full, but I plan to use a bit out of them to make these meals. I still have a little leftover from my last budget so i'll add that into what I can spend this week. I also will be making a meal for my church to help with the meal ministry. I still won't go over budget since I have most of what I need already.

Breakfast:
Monday: Baked Oatmeal
Tuesday: Waffles and yogurt
Wednesday: Omelettes and yogurt
Thursday: Muffins and Sausage
Friday: Pancakes and fruit
Saturday: Eggs, biscuits, and a meat
Sunday: Country ham and gravy over biscuits

Lunch:
Monday: Sandwiches and a side veggie--->either raw or cooked
Tuesday: Hot dogs, mac & cheese, and a veggie
Wednesday: Homemade tomato soup and half cheese sandwich
Thursday: Tunafish sandwiches and fruit
Friday: Leftovers or quesidillas if we have no leftovers
Sat and Sun: We either eat leftovers, or a salad, or sandwiches

Snacks:
Monday: Pizza rolls
Tuesday: Fruit
Wednesday: Banana Bread or homemade bread drizzled with butter and honey
Thursday: carrots and celery dipped in ranch
Friday: Tortilla wraps---> Filled with peanut butter, banana, and/or honey

Dinner:
Monday:
Baked Chicken
Baked squash and zucchini
Yeast rolls

Tuesday: New Recipe!
Slow cooker salisbury steak
Homemade mashed potatoes
Green beans

Wednesday:
Mexican night

Thursday:
Chicken tetrazinni
Corn

Friday:
Mock shepherd's pie

Saturday:
Out to eat with family!

Sunday:---->supposed to have last week, but we got busy painting
Italian sausage and peppers
Green beans
Garlic bread

Chicken Tetrazinni:
3 chicken breasts cooked, into pieces
1 stick butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic
3 T flour
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 qt warm chicken broth
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1 bay leaf
8 oz thin spaghetti
2/3 cups parmesan cheese

Directions:
In large frying pan place butter and melt over medium heat. Add mushrooms, green peppers, and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly add in 1-1/2 cups of warm chicken broth and the heavy whipping cream. Stir until thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth to beaten egg yolks. Add several tsp of the hot white sauce from frying pan to egg mixture then pour into frying pan, continuing to stir. Add chicken pieces, stirring until heated. While making sauce have spaghetti cooking, add bay leaf to noodles while cooking. Drain noodles after done and pour into 9 x 13 dish. Spoon sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 325 F for 30 minutes.
*What I do is use a whole chicken and boil it till it is falling off of the bone. I take about 2 cups of the cooked chicken and then freeze the rest. I then use the chicken broth from the chicken for the recipe and then boil the noodles in the remaining broth.*


For more great menus head over to Menu Planning Monday's, hosted by I'm an Organizing Junkie.

6 comments:

Carlie Faulk said...

Hey - can you give me the chicken tetrazzini recipe?

Oh - and I've seen you're freezer. I can't imagine where you're going to put that stuff. You should have the fam all kick in and buy you an upright for a baby present! It's out of my price range - lol!

Posh Mama said...

Great Menu! This is my first menu in a looooong time, there are so many new people I can't wait to check out. I hope to get our grocery budget to a much smaller amount, how did you do it?

Teresa said...

Posh mama, Thanks for stopping by! It has taken me quite awhile to work down my budget this low. I actually have a $75 week allowance, but have been coming a little under for awhile now. If you're interested in how I do it, read my How I feed my family of 8 for $300 a month series. I go into detail on exactly what I do. Have a great day!

Carlie, the recipe is up just for you! Yes, my freezers are quite full, but i've gotten them down just a bit so I should have a little room. It'll be interesting trying to fit the meals in, that's for sure. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Teresa, I would love to have your recipe for Baked Oatmeal if you don't mind. I have eaten it many times in Amish country(Lancaster County, PA) and it is delicious. Thanks!

Teresa said...

faye, here is the link to where I have my recipe for Baked Oatmeal posted. We love it here! It goes a long way too.

Carlie Faulk said...

sigh......strike two for me.

I need a tutorial on pumkin rolls. And if you give it to me I'm going to need more yeast.

On the brighter side - the tetrazzini was great!