Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Baked oatmeal...mmm mmm good!

In our quest to save money, I have been on the lookout for inexpensive, nutritious breakfasts to feed my gang. It is also a goal of mine to feed the little bottomless pits, (aka...the kids) food that will not have them crying for more food an hour later.

Well, I am happy to share that I have found a great breakfast, that is also relatively inexpensive to make, thanks to Crystal at money saving mom. Baked Oatmeal!

Ok, so I know most people either love oatmeal or hate it. I've always been in the camp of, "I don't really like it, but I'll eat it because it's food." Boy was I surprised when I took that first bite. It was really, really good. Of course my children loved it too. They've never been a hard bunch to please.

Most families I know could use this for 2 meals since it makes such a big batch. It heats up just as well as the first day it comes out of the oven. Since finding this recipe I have seen many different versions out there. If this one doesn't suit your tastes, you can always try another. Don't forget to top it with butter, brown sugar, and a splash of milk!

Baked Oatmeal:
1 cup oil (can substitute butter or applesauce)
1 ½ cups sugar (can reduce)
4 eggs
6 cups oats
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups milk

Combine all ingredients in order listed. Pour into greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned. Serve topped with butter, brown sugar, and milk.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Hi, I followed you over here from MOMYS, where I tend to just lurk. I wanted to tell you that I think your blog looks great! You're doing a super job with it. And your writing style and encouragement are right up my alley, which after reading all your forum is no surprise to me. I also just started blogging again, after taking 2.5 years off. I think it was your post about blogging that encouraged me to just get back into it. Can I add you to my links? I'll defintely be back often!

Mama T said...

Hi Kate,
Thanks so much! So far I am having alot of fun with my blog. Glad to hear that you're jumping back on the bandwagon.
I would love for you to add me to your links. The more, the merrier. :)

Alyssa said...

This sounds super yummy (and frugal)! I will definitely use this recipe, thanks so much for sharing!

Faye said...

Thanks for the baked oatmeal recipe Teresa. I can't wait to try it out!