Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

Kids choice week, $60 spent on this menu!!

This week is kid's choice week in the house! The children all pick out a meal that they want mom to cook. Now, my 3 yo son's first choice was McDonald's, but that is out! Do you know how much it costs to feed a family of 8 there! We compromised though and will have chicken nuggets for lunch(they are a vegetarian version....shh, don't tell him!)


After they pick out their meal, they have to help me make a grocery list for their meal. I help the little ones with this, of course. Lastly, they get to help mom cook their meal and then serve it. This is all their favorite thing to do. My 12 yo daughter loves to decorate the table so she will go all out. It is a fun week for the kids and mom, and as you can see, they generally pick meals I would have made anyway!

Breakfast:
Monday: Waffles and fruit, mom will eat eggs since I bombed my glucose test at the doctor's
Tuesday: Baked Oatmeal
Wednesday: Eggs Florentine and fruit
Thursday: Muffins and Sausage
Friday: French Toast sticks
Saturday: Eggs, biscuits, and a meat
Sunday: Country ham and gravy over biscuits

Lunch:
Monday: Sandwiches and a side veggie--->either raw or cooked
Tuesday: Chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, and a veggie (3 yo son's choice)
Wednesday: Chicken Salad
Thursday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and fruit
Friday: Leftovers or quesidillas if we have no leftovers
Sat and Sun: We either eat leftovers, or a salad, or sandwiches

Snacks:
Monday: Carrots and ranch dressing
Tuesday: Fruit
Wednesday: Banana Bread or homemade bread drizzled with butter and honey
Thursday: Baked pepperoni(we do this every so often since I don't buy chips, they crisp real well)
Friday: Tortilla wraps---> I usually fill them with pizza sauce and cheese, which the kids call "mini pizzas", or peanut butter and honey

Dinner:
Monday:
Turkey noodle soup
We had turkey for Easter, so i'm gonna use the leftovers to make this

Salad
Hearty herb bread

Wednesday: (10 yo son's choice)
Spaghetti and meatballs
Garlic bread

Thursday:
Chicken and sausage jambalaya
Corn
Dinner rolls

Friday: (5 yo daughter's choice)
Mini Cheese pizza's
Homemade pepperoni pizza rolls

Saturday: (12 yo daughter's choice)
Chili cheese enchiladas
Mexican rice
Salad

Sunday: (14 yo daughter's choice)
Sticky chicken--->yum!
Carrots and brocolli

For more menu plans, stop over at Menu Planning Monday at Organizing Junkie.



11 comments:

Nicole said...

What a great idea. I may have to let my kids do this one week.

I am new to this whole blogging thing so I have to ask, how do you get the links within the words that you have at the bottom. I can not figure this out for the life of me.

Teresa said...

When you are writing your posts, there is a button that looks like a world with a chain above it? It is green. You click on that to add a link, but you have to highlight the words that you want to be your link first. You just highlight them as you normally would highlight. Does that make sense?

Wifey said...

Great menu! Having the kids help decide what to eat is so helpful, and good for them, too. Have a great week.

Kimberly said...

Your menu looks great! Your kids and I have similar taste in food :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. yeah abut Meatloaf and smoothies... They both just sounded good. I'm not sure if they really go together!

Canadian Saver said...

That's a great idea!! Your menu looks yummy... definitely kid-friendly :-)

Nicole said...

thanks that makes perfect sense.

I just added the recipes to my menu so the pineapple salsa recipe is there.

Erin K. said...

You are the second person I've seen that has the Sticky Chicken recipe on the menu for this week. It looks like I'll have to give this recipe a try!!

Teresa said...

cajunchic, thanks!

erin k., we have been making this for a few years now thanks to an online friend of mine who kept insisting on how good this was.
If you do make it, you won't be disappointed! It's much better than the roasted chickens you buy in the grocery store.

Kate said...

The week sounds great. Your kids have very good taste. I absolutely love the baked pepperoni idea. We don't buy chips either. I am adding pepperoni to April's grocery list for sure. What a treat! Thanks for sharing Teresa.

Anonymous said...

I'm having a kids week too :) I might have to change our buffalo chicken legs into sticky chicken legs! I haven't made that in awhile and it is so good!

One of my kids (the boy) picked enchiladas and my oldest picked spaghetti & meatballs w/ garlic bread.

Sounds like kids like similar things, eh?

Sherry

Carlie Faulk said...

We're coming for snackon Thursday! I love bake pepperoni but of course I like it dipped in ranch!