Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

So I Don't Forget


I have so much to write about the many things God has been showing me. I want to get it all written down before I start to forget. Don't we do that? God shows us something amazing and we end up forgetting. How many times do I wish I could remember everything He has shown me. I know sometimes something will remind me of a truth I was shown in the past, but as a whole I forget most of the things. Really, I was only encouraged in that moment instead of being able to read back and have my faith built up again and again.

At my family BBQ this weekend my brother-in-law and I were talking about this very thing. He had a little book that he started keeping to jott things down that he needed to do. What really struck me is that the cover said "Field Journal."

A field journal, in case you didn't know, is a diary of sorts that scientists write down and even sketch their observations in the field. It is for accurate record keeping. When I was researching field journals, one place said that used over the years and you will be able to see patterns in nature. That got me thinking. I wonder if we did that in our own lives if we would be able to see patterns too. If we accurately recorded everything God has shown us if we would be able to see a pattern of who God is, His very nature. If we would see a pattern of feeling and seeing God all around us, speaking to us in the good times and especially the hard times. If we would see the pattern of God gently leading us down the paths of our life.

I have kept a journal of sorts for many years, but it has really been for noting my feelings as I walk through something. I now carry a small "field journal" with me to capture even the smallest details God shows me. Including my feelings as I think about Him and His creation. I stand in awe of God and who He is.

Already I can see how much of an impact it is making and who knows where it may lead. I might have a small inkling though. Try it and see if it doesn't encourage you!

No comments: