Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Tomorrow is the day

We are so excited because by tomorrow afternoon we will have 42 fresh chickens in my freezer. It's hard work, but there is nothing better than fresh, homegrown chicken!

We will take a break for a few weeks and then start one more small batch once the weather warms up just a bit so that they can eat lots of green grass and bugs. What's even better is that this batch is not for us. We are giving others the chance to experience just what we've been enjoying for awhile now.


2 comments:

The Book Lady Online said...

Do you process them yourself? We are raising chickens right now and as much as I'd like to do the processing myself, I'm just not sure I'm up to it. If you process yourself, do you have any tips or suggestions? I know I will have to learn to do it, but I'm a little squeamish, lol.

Teresa said...

Haha...oh boy! Yes, we do process them all ourselves. I'm not going to lie to you. It is not a pleasant process. You just get used to it. Since we are planning on rasing our own chickens for years we are planning on getting a whizbang chicken plucker. You can google it or watch videos of it on youtube. It is really neat.
When we first learned to process our chickens we watched a few videos and then went to a farmer friend of ours for help in technique. We first thought about bringing our chicks to be processed elsewhere, but no place takes them anymore. Too many regulations bue to the avian flu. :-/ Eventhough it not fun, in the end, it is worth it!