Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Planning, seed starting, and working in the garden

Our vegetable garden area after sitting all winter. Notice the green onions coming up in one of my herbs pot that I had growing until just last month. We will be expanding on the other side of the compost bin.

For the past few weeks we have debated whether we wanted to get our garden up and running again. It was not because it is too much work or that we don't have the time. It's just that we plan on selling our house sometime next year, so we thought that maybe we ought to spread the dirt through the yard and let the grass grow back.

We decided to go ahead and plant through the summer, but not in the fall. Down here, you can almost have a year round garden. After all was said and done, we made the decision to actually plant more. That means we need to put in another bed. We started using the Lasagna Gardening method last year and it was wonderful. Our garden produced so much in such a small space. We're hoping that it will be just as bountiful, if not more, this year. Our thought is to preserve and freeze as much as we possibly can in case we cannot put another garden in next year. The price of vegetables are skyrocketing and are so low in quality when compared with what we grow. For that reason alone we knew we could not skip this year.

So, last week we got to planning and starting our seeds. Then, this weekend, in one of the outside beds, we put onions, spinach, lettuce, radishes, and a few carrots just for fun. It is a little on the late side for spinach here, but we have had an unseasonably cold winter for so far south. We are actually forecasted to get snow again tomorrow night! Even if it warms up quickly, I should still get enough to freeze a few bags.

The first two years we had our garden we would go down to the local garden center and buy our plants. We now use as many seeds as we can in our garden. It cost as much to buy one tomato plant as it does for a seed packet. One seed packet is more than enough for our family for the year. Being the frugal person I am, I now start as many plants from seed as I can. There are other reasons, besides saving money, that I like to start with seeds. Like being able to buy organic, heirloom seeds that are GMO free, but that's another post for another day.

We still have so much to learn, but every year we take away something. I encourage everyone I can to at least plant a small garden. Anyone can do it. What a great way to involve the children and do something together as a family. How rewarding it is to sit down together and eat the food that you all grew.

I've have a few people around here ask me to share what we've learned on how to start a garden using the lasagna method and start seeds. When we put that bed in next week we hope to snap lots of pictures and maybe do a picture tutorial. Have a blessed day!

3 comments:

RachelQ said...

We are selling out house this year too and I have considered doing a few plants in 5 gal buckets. Not sure how that would work though. Oh well, the stuff I usually plant cannot be planted until May here, so hopefully the house will be sold by then!! I will miss my wonderful compost that has been simmering all winter :(

Teresa said...

Ah, the compost is lovely, isn't it? I wish I could take it with me, but we'll need it to make the yard level again.

Teresa said...

Rachel, I have a friend of mine who planted alot of her garden in 5 gallon buckets last year. I think it did well. Maybe she'll chime in here if she sees this.