Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Anna....again

It's Anna....again.

It seems as though we can't get rid of the sickness here. I had 2 of the other children sick a few weeks ago with a cold and then I got sick with laryngitis. I am finally just now getting my voice back. I'm sure the children are none too thrilled about that.

I tried so hard to keep it from doing an entire sweep of the household by disinfecting everything, having everybody washing hands constantly, washing bedding. You know the drill.

I actually thought we were over it, but it seems as if I passed my sickness onto Anna. Poor little thing. She now has croup. For any of you moms who have experienced croup with your children, you know how dangerous it could be in a 2 month old. In fact, her pediatrician said that Anna was the youngest case of croup she had ever seen. Of course it had to be Anna. Infants as young as she is just don't usually get croup.

I am by no means an alarmist when it comes to using the doctor. I use one when we really need it. Not for every little thing that comes our way. When she sees us, she knows that I have tried to treat at home and it's beyond what I can do.

After much deliberating, we put her on a dose of steriods. From working as a nurse in NICU for years I know that steriods is an "avoid it unless absolutely necessary" type drug in little ones. It suppresses their immune system. When you have to decide between airway and immune system though, airway wins everytime. :-)

A few hours after her first dose she already sounded better. Not 100%, but at least there is no more stridor. *Stridor is that horrible noise they make when they breathe in and out during a bad case of croup.* Her doctor and I am positive that we would have been in PICU with her if we hadn't started the meds as early in the day as we did with her. We're not out of the woods yet, we still need to keep an close eye for the next night or two but she did well lastnight.

So, if you could just think about us and say a quick prayer for Anna. She sure has kept this experienced mom on her toes.

Just for fun here's a picture of her from last week. She sure has grown. She's up to 11 lbs now.





9 comments:

Victoria said...

I will keep your family in my prayers. My daughter had the Croup when she was 13 months old and it was a horrible experience, I can't imagine having to go through it with a 2 month old! :(

nicole ross said...

I'm praying for your family to get healthy again! And especially for the croup. My sister had it when she was younger and I remember how worried my mom was. (and she wasn't an infant either!)

Carlie Faulk said...

She's so cute and I'm glad the dress fits!! My poor little baby! but look how big she's gotten! WOW!!!

Teresa @ A Life At Home said...

I had to put her in it before she grew out of it. :-)

Dani said...

I will keep her and you in my prayers. She is getting so big and such a cutie.

Cat said...

Praying for your sweet baby girl.

Kate said...

You are all in our prayers Teresa. I can not believe how big Anna is getting. Her cheeks are SO adorable!

Melissa said...

She is beautiful, teresa.

I'm glad she's doing better. Poor angel and poor mommy. How scary for you. Sending her TONS of healthy prayers!

Country Gal said...

So sorry that you've all been sick! You must be exhausted! Don't forget to take care of yourself or you'll get sick again, too!

Sending prayers...