Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Making the transition to home - Part 4

Look at that picture. Wonder what it's all about? Maybe it's classes to teach you how to be a homemaker. I know what you're thinking. "Why in the world would anyone need classes to teach you how to be a homemaker?" It's pretty funny, eh? Or is it?

Before I get started I wanted to just quickly mention that if you missed my previous posts you can read them here, here, and here.

Back to that picture. I was just kidding, but maybe it would be nice if we all had classes to teach us how to better at staying home. I was really great when I worked outside of the home, but I failed dismally when it came to my job at home. It took me quite awhile to learn The truth is that eventhough I am no longer working outside of the home I still don't leave all of the responsibility of providing for the family to Scott. It really does take both of us to make it work. In fact the Bible says that I am to help my husband.

And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. Genesis 2:18

So, what exactly is a helpmeet? According to Strong's Concordance, the Hebrew definition of the words "help" and "meet" are the same, help. Webster's 1828 Dictionary gives the definition of the word help as; "To aid; to assist; to lend strength or means towards effecting a purpose." The same dictionary gives the definition of the word meet as; "Fit; suitable; proper; qualified; convenient; adapted, as to a use or purpose."

Roughly translated, God tells me that I am to assist my husband towards accomplishing our purpose. In this case that would be staying home. Not only that, but I am to be qualified. That means I need to have the knowledge and skills necessary to help. We both work, but in different ways to fulfill our purpose that we set together.

There are many things I have done to assist Scott. I have taught myself how to take that money that he makes and stretch it. First, I learned how to budget. I learned to cook meals at home. I learned how to make a menu. How to shop for food using coupons. I think of creative ways to save us money and to conserve energy. Thinking outside of what is considered the norm for today. I do not waste anything now. I have learned how to reuse things. I am learning to sew and now can make a few really cute clothes for the younger children. I have learned to garden. By learning these skills I am helping to insure that we succeed.

Staying home is real work. When I worked as a nurse I had to train for years just to get a degree. I then had to take education hours to keep my license up every year(still do). I also had to go skills fairs at the hospital I worked at just so that they could make sure I was competent at the basic skills necessary to be a nurse. We should take our job of staying home just a seriously as our outside jobs, always learning new skills so that we can be successful managers of our homes.

You do not need to do everything I have done. Think about your own home though. In what ways can you, by learning how to do something new or becoming better at something you already know how to do, help to make sure that your home can survive on one income? I will say again that it is important for you to be skilled at caring for your home. Your part at home is just as important as your husband's part in providing monitarily. Be creative, think outside of the box, and most importantly, pray for God to help you. He is always faithful.

Next time I want to talk about working at home to bring in some extra cash. It is a hot topic right now with so many of women doing it. Y'all have a great day!


2 comments:

Candace @ A Garden of Blessings said...

Teresa,
Sometimes it's easy to forget how important our role in the home is. Seems no one pats you on the back and says, "What a great job you did with the laundry and cleaning out the fridge." I try to remember that when I serve my family with a joyful heart, I am glorifying my Lord, and He sees all things. It's good to learn to let go of worldly self-esteem. Though, it can be challenging at times!
Love this series!

Kate said...

Teresa, you are so right! I really needed to read this today and am feeling so encouraged by your words. It is easy to forget that our jobs are work and that our reward, our eternal reward, is far greater than any paycheck we could bring in.

Your definition and description of a helpmeet is exactly the role I strive to play out everyday. I've always felt that just because Eric is the only one bringing home a paycheck doesn't mean he should ever feel burdened. If I keep learning and improving my homemaking skills so that his income is stretched to its maximum potential, he should never have to feel that way.

Thanks so much for your Biblical insight and compassionate encouragement. I hope you gain as much from writing this series that you provide to others!