Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rising gas prices!

I don't even know why I am writing this, but hours after putting gas in my truck I am still thinking about how much it cost. It cost me $95.00 to fill up my truck today!! Now I only fill up every 2-1/2 to 3 weeks or so, so it's been awhile since I put gas in my truck. It's actually been even longer than that since i've been to the gas station, because my husband has been filling up for me.

I've driven by the gas stations and i've seen the prices rising, but I guess it really hit me when I was the one actually pumping the gas. As the price kept climbing higher and higher I started having a few heart palpitations and feeling a little light-headed. My husband actually found it quite humerous to see me a little worked up. While he does hate paying that much for gas I guess he is a bit more used to it than I am.

Now of course I didn't really have any heart palpitations or dizziness, but being the frugal type that I am, it was pretty painful to pay that much to fill up the truck.

So, what am I going to do about it? We have a certain budget that we follow every month for gas. Do I raise that budget, or do I find ways to save and stay within our current budget?

The few tips I know of are:
*Stay home more
*Keep a list of all errands and run them all at one time
*Keep engine tuned up
*Keep tires properly inflated
*Don't speed
*Switch to a smaller car--->Now really, I won't be doing this. We'd have to drive two cars just to go anywhere.

I do all of these things already, except for the last. I prefer to think out of the box though. I am always up for a challenge, so maybe I will see what ways I can come up with to save a bit. If I find anything that hasn't been said a million times already, I will share it. But I may have to raise my budget a bit. Oh the horror!

Of course, if you have any tips that you've learned, please share. I'm sure we could all use a little help.

6 comments:

KATIE said...

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

This website is helpful in finding the cheapest place to buy gas in your area.

Alyssa said...

2 more tips:
Keep your trunk empty to reduce any excess weight.

Only fill your gas tank half full, which reduces weight as well. The heavier the car, the worse the gas mileage.

Michele said...

One more tip:
Walk.
Or, if it's too far, drive to a central location, and then walk to the rest of your stops. I wear the baby, or push her in the stroller. If I'll be buying heavy groceries at a certain store, then I'll park closest to that one, and save it for last. :)
Thanks for the laugh! :)
Blessings,
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Hubby and I have just gone down to one car and we are saving quite a bit on gas and insurance. it does require sacrifices on both our parts, like a lot of waiting on each other, but we do it. We always try to run all of our errands at the same time and don't make unnecessary trips and wait to run an errand when you know you're going to be in the area.

Kacie said...

Does your area have any gas station rewards programs? For example, the grocery in my town offers 10 cents off per gallon for every $50 you spend at the grocery. Spend enough money there, and you can get free gas!

Even a small discount really helps.

Or, if you use mypoints.com, perhaps you could redeem your points for a gift card to use at a gas station.

Teresa @ A Life At Home said...

We don't have any gas rewards programs, but I do use mypoints. I usually get a Walmart giftcard. I am due to choose another giftcard. I think I might make it a gascard this time. Thanks!