Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Works for me Wednesday: Organizing Your Coupons

I am a coupon lady and I love it! Being a coupon lady means I have about a gazillion coupons.

When I first started couponing I had all my coupons in a little rubbermaid box in envelopes. Well, hubby works in a department that is an offshoot from the local paper, so that means lots of inserts are brought home every week!

Due to my husband's faithfulness in bringing massive amounts of coupons home, the envelopes started ripping open from the sheer amount stuffed in them. It was at that point that I figured it was time to give in and upgrade my system.


My dear friend, Carlie had the coupon organizer that I wanted from the beginning, but I was too cheap to buy it. I just can't help it, I am frugal to the core. Thanks, Carlie, for pushing me to finally spend a little money.

What I now store my coupons in is a zipper binder with baseball card protectors to hold the coupons. I have dividers that separate the coupons into different sections, ie..household, grocery, baby, medicines. I love that I can flip through and see all my coupons. I can see all expiration dates too, so I am constantly purging as needed. I also have a zipper pouch that I store my scissors and calculator in.

Storing my coupons this way has saved me so much time and money! Time, since I don't have to pull out every coupon in the envelopes. Money, since I don't know how many times I've been at a store with my lovely binder only to find an item on sale or clearanced out that I was able to pick up for nothing, or pennies.

For all you visual people out there, here are a few pics of my binder.

This is the outside:















This is inside the front cover:














This is a picture showing the baseball card holders:














Hope this tip helps out all you fellow coupon ladies, and men too. Hubby asked me to add that, since he is a self-proclaimed coupon man. For more tips and tricks, visit Works for me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer!


13 comments:

Kate said...

What a fantastic idea!! I love how you can see everything at once. Great tip.

The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino said...

How cool! I have been throwing coupons away for years because I haven't been able to stay organized. This is great! Thanks!

Sarah said...

Incredible - Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing. I have piles that need organizing too. Do you sort by date or topic or both?

happyhousewife said...

Great idea, I am still in the "too cheap to buy and organizer, so I use envelopes stage" but one day I hope to graduate to bigger and better things like yours.

Carlie Faulk said...

Just tell me you got it on sale!?

Carlie Faulk said...

I forgot to mention -for those of us who are ADD and get distracted easily - I three hole punch some blank paper and put it in between the inserts. That way the qs from one page don't blend into another! Not as distracting - lol!

Teresa said...

Carlie, even for some of us easily distracted types, the papers can be more distracting. It makes it look not as neat, which bothered me. :-) For some though, it's a good idea. And yes, it was on sale.

Sarah, I sort by topic. Like all cleaning supplies will go on the same page. I keep the ones expiring first on top, since sometimes I will have the same coupon, just different expiration dates.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was just wondering, where did you get? and abut how much? My coupon container is a file folder type thing, but it is getting really full and messy.

Also, on the news in Miami last night they had a whole thing about how expensive it is to buy groceries and how down here the price of a gallon of milk is higher then a gallon of gas. Milk-$6-$7, gas$3.35-$4 depending on what part of town you are in. Then they said that down here it has cost a average family of 4 an extra hundred dollars a month for food. I was wondering how much it is in comparision to other parts of the US.

Just wanted to share.

debbie

Kara S. said...

Thanks for sharing this method of organization. I use one of those plastic expandable files with dividers (it can fit in my purse), but I waste a lot of time in the store when I stumble on a deal that I know I have a coupon for. I'll definitely have to consider upgrading to a binder!

By the way, I tagged you in a meme at my blog! (ramblings-n-writings.blogspot.com)

Sonshine said...

Cool Idea! I just use an expandable folder in my purse. I almost am afraid to get something like this cause I would forget it at home. LOL

Thanks for sharing!

Daiquiri said...

I can't believe it...I was just showing a friend my over-stuffed envelope of coupons and saying "I've gotta figure out a way to organize these!" And then you came along. Cue the choir of angels!

Just one question...where do you get the baseball card style organizer pages?

Thanks for a great tip.

Daiquiri

Teresa said...

Hey daiquiri,

I got mine at Office Depot. You could probably find them at any office supply store. I looked at Wal-Mart and mine didn't carry them.
Oh, you're welcome!

Anonymous said...

Hey, just wondering where to get all those great coupons! I've never been a coupon girl, but I am willing to start!