Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Book Review: Amazing Kitchen Cures




My husband actually gave me this nifty little book, Amazing Kitchen Cures by: Joey Green, for my wedding anniversary this year. He knows that i'm always on the lookout for ways to cure ourselves without medicine if at all possible. He also knows that i'm always looking for ways to save money. So, needless to say when he saw it on sale he picked it up for me. Along with a couple of my favorite Jane Austen novels, of course.

While I have not read the book from cover to cover, since there are 1,150 cures for common ailments, it has been quite interesting so far. Here are few of the cures that I found:

1. Heartburn:

One thing that I have been suffering from quite frequently this pregnancy, is heartburn. I am hesitant to take medicine while pregnant, so of course this is the first ailment I looked up. Did you know that you can relieve heartburn by taking 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar? It is not the best tasting, but it works like a charm. The book also suggests chewing a piece of spearmint gum or using mustard as a condiment.

2. Snoring:

My poor, sweet husband suffers from this. Although I think I am the one who truly suffers, if the truth be told. According to the book, you can just use a regular bandaid to put across your nose instead of buying expensive strips. There is also a remedy that I am trying to talk hubby into trying, but he won't budge. Supposedly you can spray Pam in the back of your throat and it will stop the snoring. I'll let you know if he caves and it if it works.

3. Diaper Rash:

A few of these I have tried before so I know they work. To soothe a diaper rash you can add 1 cup of baking soda to baby's bath water. You can use witch hazel on baby's bottom.
One that I will add here is that you can mix a little vaseline and liquid maalox or milk or magnesia and apply it to baby's bottom. It really works!

There are many, many other cures in the book. The book does list certain brand names, but don't think that you always have to use that specific brand. I love the fact that it uses things that most of us already have in our pantry. Most of these are good "old-fashioned" cures that people have used for many years. While I cannot guarantee that every cure will work, it is always nice to try some of the things mentioned in the book first instead of medicating. Just another way to save money by using what we already have!

2 comments:

D&Xmommy said...

That sounds like a great little book, I will have to keep my eye out for it.

Foxy5 said...

Just wanted to let yoy know, baking soda will heal a "normal" diaper rash. If it's a yeasty rash it will make it worse.

As for the pam... I am SO trying that one tonight! If I can convince my hubbie to open wide. ;)