Pages

Friday, March 21, 2008

10 uses for your CVS and Walgreen's stash

Disclaimer: This post is meant to be a little lighthearted so take it as it is. Of course though, it is also frugal at the same time.

Lots of us know how to work the CVS and Walgreen's deals. After working the deals for awhile you start to get a pretty good stockpile going. [Note: If you don't know how to work the deals, I will be covering them in my series, "How I feed my family for $300 a month" ]

So, what do you do with that ever growing stash of fabulous freebies that you've gotten? Do you hoard it all, or do you find something creative and constructive to do with it? I vote to keep some on hand, but to find something else to do with the rest. After you have a year's worth saved up, you honestly don't need anymore! Oh, I know some people like to keep it to show off, but there are better uses for it.

So, without further ado, here's my list of things to do with that stash. Feel free to comment and add your own ideas!

1. Of course donate what you can to people that are in need. What a way to be a blessing to others. Our family doesn't always have alot of extra money to hand out, but helping people this way can bless others too.

2. For all those glucose monitors they kept begging us to buy for so many months, did you know that the batteries are a standard size watch battery that are used in many things. I found that my scale needs them, so now I have a few put aside. Also again, many people have found places to donate them.

3. For the 50 or so tubes of toothpaste. Did you know that toothpaste takes crayon, pencil, and ink marks off of your walls? So when your little picasso decides to draw a masterpiece on your freshly painted wall, just put a dab of toothpaste on your finger and rub it in. Wipe with a damp cloth, and voila, good as new! (Please, oh, please don't try this on cheap paint! It will rub right off.) With 6 children there is always a mark on the wall that I need to clean up!

4. Have a garage sale! All those unopened boxes of toiletry items would sell like hotcakes and you'll earn a little cash too.

5. Make a gift basket for a young lady with all the gobs of makeup and skin care items you have. I'm sure you can find a used or clearanced basket to put the stuff in. She will be so impressed with your gift, and you'll be secretly happy that you've found a way to make a little more room for guess what....more stuff!

6. During the summer, use all that extra dish soap to put on the kids slip n slide. A little goes a long way, you don't want them flying off the edge. Don't even ask me how I know that one!

7. All those extra toothbrushes that you have work really well for scrubbing in those small spaces. I always have a few that I save just for cleaning. They work!

8. When one of your friends or family members are sick, make a pot of chicken noodle soup and bring over a bag full of all those free medicines you have. They'll love you for it. Besides, I don't think I could use all the medicine I get free in a life-time!

9. Look up on the internet for other uses of things you have, like toothpaste, ziploc bags, fingernail polish, hairspray and then try a few! My friend, Carlie, found 39 uses for ziploc bags, 100 uses for toothpaste, and a ton of uses for nail polish. Some of them are a little wacky, but hey, it doesn't hurt to try them. Here is a link to the Reader's Digest website for extraordinary uses for ordinary things.

10. Last but not least, use your 30 bags of Dove chocolate that you got free, to invite your friends over for a chocolate fondue party! We love fundue here, it's so much fun!

There you have it, 10 ways to use your extra stash. There really are creative ways to use that stockpile. So, instead of hoarding it all for yourself, have fun with it. Be a blessing, clean your house, have a fun night with friends and family all without spending any money. Don't you just love CVS and Walgreen's?!

For more frugal tips, head over to Crystal's blog at Biblical Womanhood.

7 comments:

Sonshine said...

Very interesting way of putting and thanks for the ideas!

Being newbie to the CVS and Walgreens shopping, I have been a little strict on what I get(meaning only getting what I know I will use!) However, these ideas has help a bunch.

One other idea I want to add is that some of the shopping I have done I have put aside for a friend who sends care packages to our military overseas!

Cajunchic said...

toothpast cleans pencil off walls? off to try that right now. lol Tori decided to draw a family picture on the wall the other day.

Michelle B said...

Hey T, here's another great idea of all those little extras you get...If you know someone is going off to collage in the fall, make up a gift basket, they can always use the toiletries.
Another great idea is to donate some to one of the homeless shelters around town or even at the Pregnancy Center and Clinic. They always have moms-to-be that can use help with things like toiletries.
For all those Glucose monitors you have, have you thought about maybe contacting some of the doctors or even the diebetic (sp) care clinics around town to see if they could use some free donations. I'm sure they'd be willing to give you a letter of donation for tax purposes.

Dana K. said...

I want to be friends with someone who has a stash like this - they can donate some to me! or I'll go shop the garage surplus! =) Now I have a goal=) ALL THAT FREE???? wow. I'm still scared of CVS - and it's overwhelming and a bit scary to me. Here's some ideas... How about sending off a college student with a goodie basket - or welcoming someone to the neighborhood with the things you need that first couple days but haven't unpacked (shampoo, dish soap, laundry soap etc). If college students have your heart - donate the extras to a dorm mom - a lot of freshman can't afford things - you could stock the laundry room with "free" detergent for a month (or 12) or donate to your sorority. You could donate the smaller sizes to organizations that send things to soldiers or soldiers families - or even offer them on your local freecycle - and the offers will pour in - I know food banks are especially low this year - with even college students joining right and left - so check there too. They usually accept more than food. Battered women's shelters, homeless shelters - maybe even your local children's hospital or Ronald McDonald type house. The church nursery might need some of these freebies or put out little baskets in your husband's office/church restrooms with lotion and FHP etc. If there's a local coop - they'd also take your donation. Your local church ladies group or youth group might want to adopt your surplus and do some sort of project with it. Contribute to an organization doing shoe boxes for Christmas. School supplies can go to teachers (teachers don't make much they might want more than school supplies!!) they might love a misc household goody bag. If you're really desperate - take them to your local school marked teacher's lounge and they'll get grabbed up in NO time... apparently I can go on and on.... but there are definitely lots of places that will take these kinds of goodies off your hands. Sharing with someone else will brighten your day - I encourage you to be realistic about what you need and give away the rest - you'll be blessed - THEY'll be blessed - and someone else will get to use the product before it's shelf life expires. =) Have a happy day...

Teresa @ A Life At Home said...

Hey Dana, this post was just a funny. The stash is not mine by the way. It is an aquaintance of mine off of a popular couponing website.

While I do have a stash I think I give away more than I ever keep. I supply all of my family first, then friends, I help out lots of students at our church that are studying to go into ministry, I donate to different organizations that have need of these kinds of items.

I agree that it is such a blessing to give to others. Since we don't always have alot of extra money to give this is one way we can bless others.

Gretchen said...

I just signed up for the CVS card, so I haven't gotten started on this yet, but sounds like a lot of fun. We always like to give gift baskets to friends and family.

My2Gs said...

I am fairly new to couponing and have quickly become addicted. I love the feeling of getting a huge cart of stuff for 1/2 the price. Thank you for the suggestion on what to do with your excess.
~ Lacie