Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Frugal Fridays: When Half is More


Yes, sometimes half can equal more. More savings that is!

An old friend of mine, that worked for a uniform cleaning company, let me in on a little secret that all the uniform companies know. You can use half of the amount of laundry detergent and fabric softener and still keep your clothes just as clean and static free. Yep, just half is all you need.

What I do, when using store bought laundry detergent, is to fill the measuring cup only up to the first line, eventhough I always do a large load. I mark a line on the inside ring with a marker so that everyone else remembers to do this also. Since getting my front loader, I use even less than this.

With my fabric softener, I save the current bottle i'm using. I pour half of my new fabric softener into the old bottle. I then top off both bottles with water. Voila, you've just saved money! If you use fabric softener sheets, just tear them in half. I've been doing this for many years now, and my clothes are just as clean as before.

As a side note: If you really want to be frugal, you could just make your own detergent and use vinegar instead of fabric softener. Yes, i'm serious!

4 comments:

Heidi @ GGIP said...

This is a tip my mom taught me. She always said that it wasn't so much the soap that was cleaning your clothes as it was the water. :)

Mrs. Taft said...

great tip! Thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

I do a large load & use half of the smallest mark & my clothes come out just as clean. I use Gain or Tide though because I have noticed when I buy cheapier detergent & try to use half my clothes look dingy. I am not sure if I would be saving more by using more of the cheapier or less of the more expensive, I will have to look into that. I do have to say the good smell of Gain & Tide make me feel like my clothes are cleaner (such a scam, huh) Now on the vinegar. I tried it & my clothes came out feeling hard.... We live in NY though & have very hard water. I also still needed the sheets in the dryer to prevent static. So I found that I could skip the softner in the wash & just use the higher end detergent (1/2 the smallest amount) & 1 fabric sheet in the dryer. I also agree about the water, If I try to stuff too much in my clothes come out still dirty.

Mama T said...

Hey Deb, I have to agree about the water. Never had any hard clothes here, unless you count the time I tried to line dry my clothes. You wanna talk about some hard clothes? lol Oh, I did learn a tip for that, just put them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them back up. I still love the smell of my clothes with my fabric softener though, even diluted.
Vinegar is really great to use on towels, since you're not supposed to use fabric softener on them. It decreases their absorbancy.
Have a great day! :)