Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Chemical-Free Household Cleaners


Being a stay at home mom to 6 children, who are all homeschooled, I use alot of cleaning supplies. There is always a spill that needs cleaned up, dishes or laundry to do, bathrooms to clean. It is never ending!

If you know me at all, I am always looking for ways to make my job at home easier and cheaper too. I also happen to be pretty health conscious. After reading a study on the rates of cancer being higher in women who stay home, due to the use of chemicals in the cleaners they use. I decided to research chemical free cleaners. I found some wonderful products out there, but they are pretty expensive to buy. Now, I wouldn't mind paying the hefty price if I hadn't found something cheaper out there, that works just as well! In my opinion, I stumbled on a gold mine!

You can actually use things that you already have in your house to clean with! What?! You mean i've been paying for cleaners all these years that are toxic for myself and my children, when I could have just used a few key things I already have, and save money too?! What I found is that they work just as well or even better than what I was using. If they can clean my house, they can clean anybody's!

So, here ya go. Try a few of the ideas and see how you like them.

Chemical-Free Household Cleaner List:
1. Vinegar
*Just plain old white vinegar. It is a wonderful disinfectant. You can put 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water in a spray bottle and use it just like you normally would to clean your kitchen and bathroom.
Note: You can add a bit of orange, tea tree oil, or lemon juice to make it smell better. It also gives an added boost to the cleaning power.

*You can also use vinegar as a rinse aid for your laundry. For all those towels you're not supposed to be using fabric softener on, vinegar works great to keep them soft. Just use 1/2 cup in the rinse aid compartment.

*Use vinegar to mop your floors. You can mix it water and a little orange essential oil or lemon juice to get a better smell. Just so you know, as soon as it dries the smell is gone.

*Use vinegar to clean your toilets. Pout 1 cup of vinegar in the toilet, let sit overnight. Flush in the morning and then clean as you normally would.

*Use the same 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water solution to spray your windows and mirrors. Use an old newspaper to wipe clean. Works better than windex.

*Vinegar also works well as a weed killer.
Weed or Grass Killer:
1 gallon of boiling water
1 cup salt
Simmer till dissolved. Add 8 drops of dawn to mixture. Put in container you normally would to spray your weeds.

You can also check out this site for a ton of more uses on vinegar.

2.Baking Soda
*You can use baking soda in place of your typical abrasive or scouring cleaner. Use it to scrub your bathtub, or hard water stains.

*Use it to scrub your toilets

*Also use baking soda to clean your stove. Do you have cooked on particles on your stove that won't come up? Add a few drops of vinegar to the baking soda. It helps eat through the stubborn mess!

*Also, baking soda is a great deodorizer. I know most of us keep it in our frig already. You can also put it in the bottom of your trash can. Or, if you cloth diaper, you can put it in the bottom of your diaper pail.

3.Hydrogen Peroxide
*For a fruit and vegetable cleaner, use a spray of vinegar, rinse. Then use a spray of hydrogen peroxide, rinse. This will remove all the harmful pesticides and wax that are on the fruits and vegetables.

*You can also use a seperate bottle of hydrogen peroxide to spray after your clean with your vinegar spray. I like to use the peroxide on my counters after cooking for an added disinfectant. Please don't mix the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide together in same bottle.

*Soak your toothbrushes in peroxide to kill all the gerns and bacteria.

That's it! You can clean your entire house with just these 3 things. All of them are super cheap too!

If you have any other tips, recipes, or if you know of any other chemical-free cleaners, please share.

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Teresa, I'm really enjoying your blog! I come back as often as I can to glean from you. :)

You mentioned using essential oils when you clean. Here's one of my favorites:
To mop my floors (vinyl and wood) I use a little bit of a cleaning concentrate from Nature's Sunshine (chemical free) and 3 or 4 drops of peppermint oil. It smells so delicious! It makes mopping almost enjoyable! :)
Keep all the helpful tips coming! You are an awesome woman that I'm glad to have met - I hope we can get to know each other better as time goes on!
I'm so glad Scott urged you to do this! I feel like I'VE landed on a gold mine here. :)